Sunday 9 May 2021

Forannán's War Host


If you've been following my Twitter (@alex_and__a) then you might have seen me cracking on with my Dark Ages Irish warband for Saga... well here they are in all their glory!

All these miniatures are from Footsore's Dark Ages Irish range - I got them a couple of years ago now.  In short, good value, mostly decent quality but a few poorly detailed faces.  For the cost, to me they are acceptable but they aren't a range that I expect to revisit.

Anyway - on to the War Host!

Of course, they'd be a strangely named force without Forannán himself - the mighty warlord who will lead this force to countless victories (perhaps):


He brings with him two of his trusted Curadh - called Éogan (L) and Dunchad (R):


I've also painted both banner bearers - although I can only use one in Saga:


I intend to use the chap on the left in games.  The banners were by Wargames Designs - I just picked the two designs I liked most!

I also had a random hornblower:


Not that he really serves a purpose in Saga...🤷

I have a couple of units of Hearthguard, armed with axes.  The first is called Cormac's Fianna:


And the second is Rónán's Fianna:


I also painted two units of Warriors armed with javelins.  The first I've called Fintan's Bonnachts:


The second I've named Dáire's Bonnachts - these have patterns on their shields just to mark them out as a different unit:


Finally I have Lugaid's Hounds - one of the special options in Saga's rules for Irish forces, a pack of Irish Wolfhounds:


I'm pretty pleased with how these have turned out - as I was painting them the quality of the faces did get me down a bit, but I stuck with it and I'm happy to have them done!  I do have a unit of mercenaries for this force too - but I'm going to take a small break before I tackle those.

Forannán's Shieldmaiden opponents will surely be soon up on the paint table though!

No comments:

Post a Comment