Thursday 14 October 2021

Operation: Winter is Coming 2021


It’s been a while since I’ve posted properly (Mordheim Hireling Agency posts aside) and there’s a couple of reasons for that – in the shorter term we acquired a new member of the household in a Boxer puppy called Peggy (after Agent Peggy Carter) and she’s a bit of a handful!


Now that the shamelessly proud sharing of cute dog pic is done, it doesn’t much explain the easing of posts before that time.  Quite simply I made the mistake of prepping too many things without getting the sand dipping done – this created a big backlog that just became what felt like an insurmountable obstacle and mired me deep in inactivity hobby-wise.  I’m hoping to learn from this situation and avoid it in the future – not hobbying was indeed quite miserable!

But, the last few days I have pushed on and sand dipped – and now primed thanks to semi-decent weather! – this backlog (hurrah!).  So now I’m a bit more energised and working on prepping some other projects –these will form this year’s Operation: Winter is Coming – although, being frank, I’ve not painted things from several years ago that I prepared for winter… but at least the O:WiC approach gets me motivated to do some hobby!  So, these are O:WiC 2021 projects – either acquired or planned – that will be making appearances here over the coming weeks.

Bolt Action
I’ve got a few forces to share here of my prepped 10mm project.  I need to get some scenery for the desert, Western Europe and the Far East too at some point (first two easy enough, third trickier!).  I’m also toying with a small Korean War project along the same 10mm Bolt Action lines.

Burning Sands
I’ve got a few bits and bobs to prep for this – most notably the latest release from Crom’s Anvil.  I’ve got my eye on a few more miniatures for this – but then it’s all about the scenery!

Gorkamorka
I’ve got a few scenery bits I need to sort to finish the acquisition phase of this project – thankfully there’s some nice resin options out there that should work very well and I plan to get this side of Christmas.

Horizon Wars
I’ve acquired quite a collection of stuff from Vanguard Miniatures to do 3mm Horizon Wars – Orks vs Imperium.  Coupled with a pretty decent selection of CP Models scenic items this should be a fun – if a little daunting – project to scratch that 40k flavoured itch that never fully disappears!

Malifaux
I’ve got the Marcus keywords stuff I’ve shared here before – and a couple of other bits and pieces – to prep.  Due to the teeny tiny nature of some Malifaux components I’ll need to time doing them for when Peggy is having a good kip to avoid any problems!  I’ve also asked for some Malifaux stuff for my birthday so fingers crossed there’ll be even more to add as the Malifaux world has really sparked my interest.  Of course, there’s the imminent release of the Malifaux Burns expansion and new title masters too which has definitely got me a little hyped!

Of Gods and Mortals
Frequent readers of ADHS may remember I got an Ares model for Of Gods and Mortals, originally intended to use with my Footsore stuff.  Now, the Footstore stuff is gone, but I did replace it with 15mm Museum Miniatures stuff… so why not have mega-Ares and 15mm buddies?  I’ve also got some opponents in mind – India certainly, Norse probably, Egyptian and Celtic possibly, others… well that would depend on suitable miniatures to use as gods; any suggestions?

Proxima Centauri
I’m waiting on a few bits and pieces from Ral Partha Europe – and a little down the line I’m planning on an order with Alternative Armies for more scenery and battlesuits – that will pretty much finish the acquisition phase of this rather freeform project.  Contemplating a few different rulesets for this project – Five Parsecs looks promising if/when I can get a copy and I’ve already got Rogue Stars. I’ve also got the sci-fi USEME for some squad based games which would work well for some of the miniatures in the collection.

Rampanthammer
I’ve had a unit of 10mm Kislevite Bear Cavalry on the go for weeks now – but the process of converting them is laborious, requiring a lot of filing so I’m still on 4 of 6… I’m hoping to get the last two done soon though as they are the finishing touch to the Rampanthammer project before it moves onto the painting phase.

Rebels and Patriots
I’m seriously thinking about replacing the 28mm ACW project with 15mm – partially for space purposes, partially to allow for slightly larger battles.  I might paint my Fenian Raids project before making a final call – as I used Pendraken ACW for the Brotherhood if I enjoy painting them then that might help me pull the trigger so to speak.

So that’s it – I won’t rule out other things sneaking in there, but for now I think it’s enough to be cracking on with!

No comments:

Post a Comment