Wednesday 16 June 2021

The Fenian Raids - Introduction


I've mentioned this on the blog before, but now I'm in a position to share with you how I've made a start on a small (both scale and force size) project around the Fenian Raids.

I based the forces mostly around the suggested lists in the Rebels and Patriots book, with a little tweaking to increase more variety to both sides.

Pendraken do a range that covers the Canadian defenders so that was the go to place for that half of the project.

First I've got three units of Green Line Infantry.  Each unit looks somewhat like this:


Thanks to some sage advice from The Mad Padre himself I've also acquired some 10mm Crimean War flags which will suffice for the look (especially at this scale).

I decided to add a Medium Field Gun to the defenders so that I wouldn't have to paint a fourth unit of infantry (hey, I'm just being honest 😅):


Finally I added a couple of units of Green Skirmishers that are Good Shots:


I used the Firing Line pack for these as they were a bit more varied, which I thought reflected their role in the R&P rules.

For the Fenians I drew from Pendraken's ACW range (based on the research I did there would have been plenty of surplus clothing from that conflict that was made use of by the Fenians).  I've got a pair of Aggressive Light Infantry units:


The suggested list in R&P includes some mounted scouts on stolen horses - for variety's sake I decided to include a unit of Green Light Cavalry:


Finally I used Pendraken's Berdan's Sharpshooters pack as the basis of a couple of units of Skirmishers (I do like these kind of units in the small conflicts the Rampant rules family is for - to my mind they seem to 'fit').  There's a good mix of sculpts in the Berdan's pack too:


I used the officer miniature from the pack to make the officers of both of the Light Infantry units different.

This gives 21 points each - a little bit lower than the 'standard' game size, but I'm happy with the variety and it should be enough to play a range of fun scenarios.  I'm not aiming to recreate any specific conflicts from the Raids (would need a different ruleset I'd think to play the Battle of Ridgeway properly!) so between these and the Battlescale Clapboard buildings I've share previously I'm mostly set - barring things like trees, water features, roads, suitable scatter etc etc (😅).

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    What base sizes are you using?

    Many Thanks

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15mm for single, scaling up for the 3-2-1 basing method (think it was 20mm and 30mm off the top of my head)

      Delete
    2. 15mm for single, scaling up for the 3-2-1 basing method (think it was 20mm and 30mm off the top of my head)

      Delete
    3. 15mm for single, scaling up for the 3-2-1 basing method (think it was 20mm and 30mm off the top of my head)

      Delete