Sunday 8 November 2020

Cacti and Wares


I've been on a bit of a brain-hype thing about Dracula's America again recently (got a homebrew posse in the works that I'll share when a first draft is ready!) - so had a look around for some suitable scenery bits, namely cacti!

I came across a seller on eBay - chcha_5648 who was offering a range of 3d printed items, including a selection of cacti.  I opted for a mixed pack of 8 different plants to use as scatter in games of Dracula's America.

Of course the main draw was a couple of iconic tree-like cacti - these are a little taller than the others so will give some nice height to the scatter pieces:


The pack also included a couple of columnar cacti, one being a small cluster for added variety:


Finally on the cacti front, there was a globular style cactus and an Opuntia (Prickly Pear) style one:


But the pack also included a couple of leaf succulent style plants too which really adds to the variety:


These all just need some very minor cleaning up (you can see it mostly on the succulents) but I'm very happy with them.  The print quality is good and the integral bases make it easier to get to the table.  These were just what I was looking for!

At the same time I picked up a pack of Bazaar Props - I figured these would work for games set anywhere around the Mediterranean, the Middle East or North Africa.

First up a selection of woven baskets and a tall-necked vessel:


I'm not so happy about this - the vessel's neck is broken (an easy fix) but the tall woven basket (in the front of this pic) looks half-finished and the base is very 'spooly' for want of a better word.  I'm not sure I will bother trying to salvage this particular piece.

Thankfully the others in the set are a little better - the highlight of this piece is the rolled fabric in the pot:


This piece has a rectangular basket to give increased variety:


Finally this piece has a stack of rolled fabric in addition to the usual baskets and vessels:


The grain of all these pieces is much coarser than the cacti pack - which is ok on the woven baskets, but will look rather rough on the other items.  The basing sections are all pretty bad so I'll have to try to do something with those on any I plan to try to make work.  A bit frustrating and overall I can't really recommend the Bazaar Props pack.

A mixed bag overall - but those cacti (and their leaf succulent buddies) are perfect so I'll chalk it up as a minor victory 😅

No comments:

Post a Comment