Tuesday 15 September 2020

Érainn - Age of Magic

 


A little while ago I presented my thoughts on using the awesome Ysian range from Mierce Miniatures in Age of Magic - well now it's the turn of my favourite kindred, the Érainn.

As last time, I'll take each unit type in turn, and which of the Mierce Miniatures Érainn range I think best fits.  In my opinion, the best fit is The Lords of the Wild battle board - as a bonus, the Shapeshifters special option can represent the Fir Danu very well indeed!

Warlord

My plan is to use a Rudraige the Fat, Rí Túath of the Uí Néill  - although any of the human warrior-style Warlords or Warchiefs miniatures from the Érainn catalogue page will work.  Note that Rudraige is the only one with a mounted option if you want one of those.

Lieutenant

Again any of the warrior styled Warlords of Warchiefs minis from the Érainn range will work - although I have a soft-spot for Caitrín, Taioseach of the Uí Néill so I'll most likely use one of the various minis of her!  If I want to use the Bow-version I'll represent it with the sling-armed version of Caitrín.

Sorcerer

The option I'll be going for here is Nuala, Druí of Danu - but Crístóir, Cruimther of An Creagán could also work I think.

Monsters

There's a few options here - basically anything under the Monstrous Beasts section of the Érainn page!  As for me, I'll be using a Mórannach, Beast of Cill Chonn Bog and a Cúlaítar, Oak Beast of Lagáin Forest (a serious chunk of resin that one!!)

Creatures

These will suffer from being on slightly larger bases than the Age of Magic rules set out (but as I'll be playing it with just Mierce Miniatures it'll be consistent across all forces so no problem to my mind).  Anyway, for this option you can look to the Monstrous Infantry section of the Érainn page.  This will depend on your personal style - there are ogre style Fir Bholg or the treemen called Fen Beasts.  There are also the fantastically detailed Peat Beasts.  I have some of all three options so I'm spoiled for choice!

Hearthguards

These would best be represented by the Fiannagh but they are some way off.  If I want to use Hearthguard I'll probably put together a motley crew of Warchief models I'm not featuring as any of my other options.

Warriors

There are a couple of options - the axe-swinging Tuanagh or the spear-brandishing Sleanagh (out soon).  I've got quite a few Tuanagh, so that's the route I'll go I think.

Levies

Now, I know the Lords of the Wild list has levies with javelins, but the ranged option for the Érainn has slings - the Maiobhanagh.  I'll be using them as proxies - but I suppose you could use the Sleanagh above to represent javelins a bit more closely.  There's nothing suitable for the Swarm option - but if I wanted to represent those I'd make some particularly wild looking undergrowth on bases (brambles and the like) that I'd consider summoned by my Druí.

I think this maps across pretty well and I'm confident I can make a nice number of options for lists from my existing collection (although eventually those Fir Danu will no doubt also be acquired!).

No comments:

Post a Comment