Sunday 3 February 2019

Gangs of Rome - getting started


OK, so I'm a little late to the party with this one - but when I found the Blood on the Aventine set for a really good price it was kind of a no-brainer:


6 single-piece gang fighters, an NPC guy, all the gubbins you need to play (including rulebook obviously) and a rather awesome 'temple under construction' scenery piece by Sarissa Precision.  This alone was almost worth the price of entry - it'll certainly be used for Broken Legions as well as Gangs of Rome, and possible even Of Gods and Mortals should I ever go that route.  Here's the official pic of the piece when made up and painted:


I won't lie, it's pretty intimidating!

So, here are the gang fighters that come in the starter set - first up the women:


And now the men:


I didn't like the guy with the Scissor gladiator weapon so while I have him made up I decided he didn't deserve to be in the picture.

Here's Talavus the Gaul, a special Incola (special character citizens of Rome that your gangs can interact with in some way in game - in this case he'll attack you with roof tiles):


While this would allow us to play the game I thought we needed to get up to the 5 gang members per side size.  I found an independent seller that was having a clear out of their GoR stock (lucky for me!) so picked up enough to add to the men and women above.

Here's the two fighters that will be joining my gang:


I like to think of the female fighter as a pychotic chef.  Each fighter comes in a blister with their unique card, item cards (and denarii) and some head and arm options - I tried to pick the coolest looking head/weapon combos for all of these multi-piece minis.

Next up are three female gang fighters that will join the Wife's gang.  There's a cool piece of background text in the rulebook about an all-female gang that was just too cool not to emulate a little on table:


Axe, mallet and sword/rock-for-braining combo... pretty gnarly stuff!

A cool and unique (well, it's the first game I've come across that uses it as a mechanic) part of Gangs of Rome is the Mob.  These represent the living nature of Rome as a bustling city.  I picked up one of the Mob packs from the seller I got the fighters from:


These will even come in useful as NPCs in Broken Legions - I do like getting multiple use out of my minis! 

I think I'd like another Mob or two, some of the other Incola models and at least a little more scenery (seeing as it can be used for Broken Legions too!), but this is certainly enough to be cracking on with in the meantime!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post dude! Some interesting game mechanics there

    ReplyDelete